Initial Chapel update on Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Dear Chapel family,
The University of Wisconsin decision to suspend face-to-face classes through April 10 has compelled the Chapel staff, in consultation with our Properties Team and Safety and Security Team, to adjust our schedule and postpone and cancel events. These changes have been approved by the Chapel Governing Board.
We do not intend to make anyone panic, because we know we are safe in the hands of our Savior Jesus and our heavenly Father (John 10:27-29). Still, the prevailing ideas about safety and prevention have led us to the following:
Be assured that our daily cleaning routine will continue to include deeper disinfecting. We will also deep clean the entire building during this break.
We are committed to making the Student Center available for students who remain in Madison.
March 13 – March 29
Open weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
March 30 – April 10
Open weekdays 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (will depend on housefellow availability). After 5:00 p.m., building entry will be key fob access only. The Welcome Desk will not be staffed.
- The classrooms in the education wing of the building will be locked. Our goal is to keep that area of the building free of the risk of infection. Students are welcome to use the Activities Room, Fellowship Hall and Library.
- Students are asked to wipe down the table they used before they leave the building.
We will not hold 9:00 p.m. services on March 25, April 1, or April 8.
- 6:00 p.m. services will continue for the final three weeks of Lent.
- April 9 Maundy Thursday worship will be held at 6:00 p.m.
- April 10 Good Friday worship will be held at 12:00 p.m.
- All these services will be available on livestream.
- No Lenten meals will be held.
- With fewer students on campus, March 22 & 29 and April 5 services will move to 10:00 a.m. only. We will not hold Sunday School, Bible studies or serve refreshments.
- Easter Sunday, April 12 will remain as planned with Easter breakfast between the 8:30 and 11:00 a.m. services.
- All worship services will be live streamed, except for the 8:30 a.m. Easter service.
- We will not offer common cup at the Lord’s Supper until further notice. Communion preparers will be asked to wash hands thoroughly and wear gloves. Hand sanitizer will be provided for distributors and members.
- Triple Dollar Dinners: There will be no dinner on March 23. Future TDDs to be decided based on student activity in the building and week-to-week circumstances.
- March 24 Pie with Pastor is cancelled.
- March 25 International Luncheon is cancelled.
- March 28 Chapel Clean-Up Day will be held as scheduled at 8:30 a.m.
- March 31 Chapel Career Night is postponed. Future date TBD.
- Housefellow events are postponed (no Game Night on March 27 and no Taco Night on April 8).
Please allow us to repeat some simple safety measures to protect yourself and others:
- Wash your hands frequently.
- If you have any symptoms, please stay at home.
- If you have traveled to high risk countries, please refrain from visiting Chapel for 14 days upon return.
We are monitoring the situation closely. Any and all scheduled events are subject to future changes based on decisions made by UW or health circumstances in Wisconsin and Madison.
Our coronavirus web page will stay up to date with the latest changes. Please visit wlchapel.org/coronavirus.
Finally, remember this truth: “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” Psalm 46 lifts our hearts to recall that nothing that happens in this world escapes the notice of our all-knowing, all-powerful and loving God. The same God who sent Jesus to die for us, that we might live, has our current situation in his control, too. We are praying for all of you during this time and placing you in the care of the God who cares for each of us. God bless you!
Peace in Jesus,
Your friends at Wisconsin Lutheran Chapel and Student Center
Back to Coronavirus Plans & Response